Becoming a Homeowner
About our Homeownership Program
Habitat for Humanity of Chester County works in partnership with volunteers, donors, and the entire Chester County community to build simple, decent, affordable homes for low-income families. Habitat homes are not free; homeowners pay a 0% interest mortgage and spend 200+ hours of “sweat equity” helping to build their neighborhood.
We are currently looking for partner families for single family homes in Coatesville. To qualify for our program, you must earn between $30,000 and $65,920 per year and live or work in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Applicants are then chosen based upon their need for affordable housing, ability to pay a 0% interest mortgage, and their willingness to partner with us.
In order to financially qualify, you must meet a minimum income requirement based upon your family size so you can afford a 0% interest mortgage.
|Family Size||Minimum Annual Income|
How to Apply
There will be a three month period each year when applications for homeownership are available. This will be announced over social media, on the homepage of this website, and on this page. You may also fill out a homeowner interest form to be notified of when applications become available. The homeowner interest form is not an application.
We anticipate our next application window for single-family houses in Coatesville to open on October 1 and close on January 2, 2019. Until the application window opens, please review the steps below by clicking on each section.
If we are not currently accepting applications:
When the application window opens:
- Before filling out the application, you will read a short presentation outlining the full requirements and expectations of Habitat’s homeownership program. If you submit an application, it is expected that you have read and fully understood the information presented. You may reach out to the Director of Family Services, Bobette, at any time for help or clarification. (See contact info at the bottom of this page or the end of the presentation.)
- You will have the entire duration of the application window to complete your application and return it to the Habitat Administrative office.
- The application will be available for download on this page and paper copies will be available for pickup in the Habitat Administrative office located at 1847 East Lincoln Highway, Coatesville Monday through Friday, 8:30pm-4:00pm.
- Only an original, paper application with original hand-written signatures will be accepted. Nothing will be accepted electronically.
- You will need to provide copies of all of the following documents with your completed application. No documents will be returned – only copies will be accepted!
- If you do not provide all of the documentation, your application will be marked as incomplete and will not be reviewed further.
After you submit your application:
- Your application will be reviewed within 30 days of receipt
- If you financially qualify for the homeownership program, you will be contacted by the Director of Family Services.
- A Family Services Committee member will then contact you to schedule an interview at your current residence to review your need for decent housing. All family members listed on your application must be present during this meeting.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.