Critical Home Repair Program
Critical Home Repair Program
Habitat for Humanity of Chester County has expanded its mission to include a Critical Home Repair program designed to help our partners address critical health and safety issues in their homes, accessibility issues for seniors and people with disabilities, and housing code violations. Providing home repairs helps to alleviate substandard living conditions and preserving existing affordable housing stock throughout Chester County. The repairs are considered critical when they improve the health, safety, accessibility, and/or energy efficiency of residents and their homes.
While our program is open to all households that meet our eligibility guidelines, our program typically serves seniors, low-income families, and people with disabilities who have limited resources to complete the repairs themselves. We are able to perform repairs on owner-occupied homes, including manufactured homes on a permanent foundation where the homeowner owns both the home and the land the house resides on.
HFHCC provides a holistic, whole-house approach to repairs and prioritizes repairs based on the highest impact for our partners. This program is not meant for cosmetic changes – it is meant to improve the safety, accessibility, and health of you and your home.
Repair examples include:
· Installing smoke & carbon monoxide detectors
· Roofing repairs/replacement
· Electrical repairs & upgrades
· Exterior siding
· Bathroom & accessibility modifications, such as installing grab bars & ramps, shower conversions, widening doorways
· Drywall & flooring repairs
· Replacing windows to meet fire safety code
· Heating & cooling
· Carpentry relating to the structural integrity
· Diminishing common causes of respiratory illness including cockroach infestations, dust mites in old carpeting, mold, & improperly vented fuel-burning appliances.
To qualify for our program, you must meet the following criteria:
· You own and occupy the home being repaired.
· Your home is located in our service area.
· Your home is more than 10 years old.
· You are current on your mortgage payments, and not in danger of foreclosure or condemnation.
· You are current on your property taxes (includes payment plans) or have a deferral.
· You have, or are willing to secure homeowner’s insurance. *May be waived for households under 30% Median Family Income.
· You meet the income guidelines (80% Area Median Income or below) based on the number of residents in the home. *Income is collected for all residents 18 years & older.
· You, or a representative, are willing to attend a mandatory orientation session. *Reasonable accommodations will be made for those physically unable to attend.
Habitat for Humanity of Chester County offers critical home repair and no-interest loans up to $5,000 (higher for roof repairs) to qualifying partners used to repair critical damage to a home or eliminate immediate hazards to health, safety, and/or sanitation. Loans will also be used for home preservation activities, such as exterior painting, fence and porch repair, and property clean-up and maintenance. All loans are offered by HFHCC at 0% interest and will vary in terms of repayment and forgiveness.
Complete the interest form below to get started!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.